Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fast time vs. being marketable; Interview with Tommy Schmitz

Tommy Schmitz  is currently an elite middle distance runner for Saucony but had a bit of a different way of getting to this point.  He ran Marquette University where he graduated in 2007 but at the time not really considered a star of the Track and Field world.  Since college his has been running for Wisconsin Runner, and Saucony. In February Schmitz qualified the US indoor championships and continued running well into the outdoor season. 2009 was a  breakout for Tommy as he has set PRs of 3:41 for 1500 and 3:57 for the mile.

On the right track:  How did the relationship with Saucony come to be? Some would call your  college career mediocre, how did you convince a company to sponsor  you when you are not a big name coming out of college?

Tommy Schmitz: Wow...You get right to the point. Mediocre?That actually might be a complement after the college career I had there were  many injuries and disappointments in my college career.  But I was able to have a few semi-respectable performances late in my college season. I actually got very lucky with Saucony wanting to represent me.  But I started with building a relationship with them while I was working in a running store.  I was a member of their Hurricane program that got me in with the company.  Most running companies actually have these programs which is a good place to look if you’re a non-sponsored athlete out of college.  But after that I was able to break 4 minutes in the mile which showed to them that I just may be "good" after all.  That's when they approached me with the "Elite" contract which I have now. But still as of now I am pretty sure I make more money forthem through my job at Santa Barbara Running Store than I cost them.

OTRT: As an athlete, what do you do day to day to make yourself more  marketable?
TS: The most marketable athletes are the fastest athletes.  Plain and simple. But Facebook and Twitter have definitely helped.  I mean Twitter is the reason I am doing this interview now.  But I definitely feel it’s important to be promoting the brand as much as possible.  It’s amazing how much traveling in my Amp Pro2 Recovery Calf Sleeves will be for conversation starters.  Many people don't know about track but are able to tune in because they now "know someone."

OTRT: How has social media / technology changed how you market yourself inside  the sport? Perhaps the sport as a whole?
TS: Technology has definitely changed the way we view sports.  Sites like Flotrack are giving the youth of today a look at role models before only seen in the Big 3 sports.  I was in a bar about a year ago with some friends  and someone came up to me and asked if I was Tommy Schmitz.  He had said he watched many of my races on flotrack.  Races in Europe than nobody would be able to see now can be shown live. Cross Country races now to. It’s almost expected that races now be online.  Technology definitely allows for a bigger fanbase to runners that before had just been known by friends and family.


OTRT: When it comes to getting into the larger meets,  what are the factors for you to gain entry?

TS: Getting into the bigger meets is 70% time based and 30% who you know.  So definitely building up relationships is key.  The last few years I have gotten to know a few meet managers around the country and it definitely helps when you can just call them and say you’re interested in the race andthey will let you know straight up if there is a spot.  It’s easier and less stressful that way.  But ultimately regardless of how fast you are itsdefinitely important to have an agent who can get you into races by using his contacts or just sheer number of athletes he will be bringing may help get you the chance your needing.

OTRT: What are some actions that you think could be taken to gain a wider fanbase in the sport of running?
TS: Twitter for sure but really the faster you run the more people want to watch you.  It’s that easy.  So if I continue to improve on the track, hopefully the people supporting me will increase. But the new running clubs definitely help. The Bay Area Track Club and Rogue Racing in Austin are starting to get entire communities involved. This will help build the sport at the ground root level we desperately need.

 OTRT: How do you explain to people that run for living? What are some of the challenges you face with this?
TS: I remember Jon Drummand talking about this same thing a few years back at USAs.  We compete in a sport that really doesn't have Drafts or league teams.  So telling someone you run professional often is very confusing.  It’s something that doesn't come up to much. But it’s cool to be able to tell someone your following your dreams and traveling all over the world.  Although most of my friends think I will "automatically be running in London" and have asked repeatedly to be my trainer or whatever can get them into the stadium.  But I like being able to say that I run professionally. It makes me feel that I am doing all of this for something.

OTRT:What have you learned as an Elite runner that you think can be applied  to the whole sport to improve it?
I think we definitely need to define many of the definitions in our sport.  I think we give out USATF sanctioned races to everything and it belittles the sport. Doug Logan was on the right track in trying to legitimize our sport.  I only hope the new person that is appointed can pick up where he left off.  But there definitely needs to be more money put inthe hands of the athletes rather than the officials or boards.  It’s the athletes that will take the sport to the new level.  Not a former one.  ButI think the sport is on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment